Howdy! Here I go again with some good ol’ fashioned D.I.Y.!
I believe in D.I.Y. with a purpose like re-imagining things around the house, making something you have better, or saving money. So when my dad changed the locks on the front door and plopped down an ugly, plain key for me on the kitchen table, I knew I had to un-ugly it right away. For the record, he normally has our house keys decorated for the family at Lowe’s. This time he didn’t and his explanation was, “C’mon guys, it costs $3 a key!” I guess I can’t blame him. Apparently good money-management runs in the family.
I decided to go off of something I saw on michellephan.com and put all of my nail polish to good use. It’s very pretty and very simple.
What You’ll Need:
- 1-2 colored nail polishes (I chose Essie in Mint Candy Apple and E.L.F. nail polish from a 3-piece set called Vacation Trio)
- 1 clear coat or top coat nail polish
- An ugly key that needs pretty-ing
- I chose to do one color polish on one side and a different on the other side. Regardless, start by painting one side, making sure ONLY to paint the top part of the key. Painting the bottom could make the key not work correctly. Paint one coat and let dry completely. Paint a second coat and let dry completely.
- Now go ahead and paint the other side. Make sure to apply two coats (same as the first side) and make sure you let your key dry completely between each coat. I applied 3 coats to the blue side to try to hide the raised Lowe’s markings. I think I did alright. See below.
- Now, just like a manicure, apply a coat or two of clear polish to protect your key and prevent scratches. For this step I chose to use Rimmel Base Coat Top Coat Pro. And you’re done! Admire your work!
Obviously you can go crazy with your color choices. Go with neon colors or maybe try some glitter! Just make sure to seal with a top coat every time. I also did my boyfriend’s key in a more masculine black color. You could also go with hunter green or navy blue or even red if you’re decorating a key for a guy. It doesn’t have to be in-your-face girly.
Do you guys have any other creative uses for nail polish? Leave a comment below!
‘Til next time, stay saving, my friends.